East Coast Migrant Head Start Project is proud to announce we were named the 2019 Southeast Regional Affiliate of the Year by UnidosUS (formerly known as National Council of La Raza). We will receive the recognition at the UnidosUS Conference, which is being held this year in San Diego, California, on August 3-6, 2019. Along with the recognition, ECMHSP will receive an award of $5,000.
Now in its 37th year, the UnidosUS Affiliate Awards recognize community-based organizations from its Affiliate Network whose partnership with UnidosUS has helped empower Latinos to achieve positive and meaningful change in their community. The honor is bestowed on six organizations representing each of UnidosUS regions – California, Far West, Midwest, Northeast, Southeast, and Texas – who demonstrate exemplary progress in serving Latinos, as well as the National Affiliate of the Year.
ECMHSP is a proud member of the UnidosUS Affiliate Network, which is comprised of community-based organizations that directly serve the Latino population across the country. As Affiliates, we know the practical concerns and policy issues that affect the community we serve and are engaged in implementing innovative solutions to meet their needs.
Awardees are selected via a comprehensive evaluation process, with an emphasis on five indicators, including:
- UnidosUS-Affiliate Partnership: as demonstrated by the impact of joint UnidosUS- Affiliate programmatic and advocacy initiatives; and partnering with UnidosUS to lift the Latino voice through joint communication and cobranding efforts.
- Commitment to the Latino Community: as demonstrated by the organization’s mission, program offerings, and program effectiveness in meeting the needs of the Latino community.
- Leadership: as measured by organization’s efforts to building a pipeline of Latino leaders both internally and in the wider community.
- Financial Sustainability: as demonstrated by the organization’s efforts to ensure the long-term sustainability of effective programming and operations.
- Reputation within the Latino Community: as demonstrated by community views of the organization as a credible voice and service provider of Latinos.
The Affiliate of the Year awards is made possible through the generous collaboration of Ford Motor Company Fund, a longstanding partner of UnidosUS in its commitment to advancing the interests of the Latino community. Ford Motor Company Fund is the philanthropic arm of Ford Motor Company.
ECMHSP is proud to share this wonderful recognition with all of our staff, leadership and community partners. In particular, we are especially honored to share it with the farmworker families we serve. We are grateful to UnidosUS and the Ford Motor Company for recognizing the miracles that take place in our centers every day, and for their investment in our mission- driven work.
ECMHSP will use the award to fund our commitment to preparing the children of migrant and seasonal farm workers for success; and to provide services and advocate for children and families in their other areas of need.
Dr. José S. Villa
Chief Executive Officer at East Coast Migrant Head Start Project